The Faculty of Occupational Medicine (FOM) is the professional and educational body for occupational medicine in the UK, and a charity committed to improving health at work. As well as setting standards for occupational medicine and managing specialty training / qualifications, FOM provides a revalidation process for occupational medicine practitioners.
- Develop a sophisticated membership CRM system with a bespoke members' area: the FOM membership system is relatively complex and involves the administration of training, exams and qualifications, events, and appraisals and revalidations for occupational medicine practitioners. FOM wanted as little manual intervention in these processes as possible - with a huge number of members to manage, automation was key
- Develop a customer relationship management system for all FOM contacts - including communications and financial data administration
- Develop sales functionality on the new site
With so much data to administer and so many processes to manage, a forensic attention to detail was crucial.
- Our developers used a combination of Drupal Commerce and CiviCRM to build a practical, user-friendly and modern website and database system
- We used Commerce Kickstart, which is an installation profile for Drupal Commerce - an open-source framework used to build eCommerce websites. An enormous advantage of Drupal Commerce is that its architecture makes it relatively straightforward for developers like Circle to build customised add-ons for our clients
- We built a bespoke area on the site for FOM members, where these users can update their contact details, pay membership fees, sign up for events and register for exams/training, access professional directories and publications, and more
- We developed several bespoke additions to fulfil FOM's specific needs, including custom modules for the automation of some of their membership processes
FOM now have a fully-functioning eCommerce site, integrated with CiviCRM for the safe and secure management of their data. They have streamlined their administrative processes, and manage their entire membership system via the new site. The new features include:
- User-driven online exam and event registrations
- Automated membership renewals and amendments
- A members’ area with filtered, membership-specific content for managing the training process
- Secure online sales
John Rafferty, Finance and Membership Coordinator at FOM, says:
Circle delivered on all of our requirements, which has allowed us to overhaul and improve our processes.
The online exam and event registration systems are easy to use and manage, and feedback from delegates and candidates has been positive. Similarly, the members’ area allows us to easily upload content, filtered according to membership types, which has greatly assisted with administering the training process.
The new site has also allowed us to automate communications with members regarding annual renewals, and online payment pages and direct debit mandates have allowed us to simplify the process further.
Since the new FOM site launched, we have seen a significant decrease in the amount of staff time required to administer the above task, which has been extremely beneficial for the efficient running of the organisation.