We are looking for a rounded developer with some commercial experience. You will be joining our friendly technical team, producing high quality digital solutions for a range of exciting clients across the charity, public and commercial sectors.
Our developers are able to define the best solutions and work in an agile way to deliver within a team. People skills are important - you’ll work closely with a lead developer to help ensure that we delight our clients and you’ll engage with the rest of the development team, from placement students to seniors. You should feel confident asking questions and communicating clearly with your team and often clients directly. You’ll be comfortable in a few technologies and not afraid to learn new ones. Most of our work is based on Drupal, Wordpress and CiviCRM - sometimes building bespoke applications around those platforms, so you will need to have at least some Drupal or Wordpress experience and a desire to develop custom code.
Another essential part of your work will be supporting, maintaining and extending existing sites. Good time management and problem solving skills are essential to this role. You will be supported and there will be initial training on using our systems. Our developers often work together and we're always helping each other out, so you’ll definitely need to be a team player. You should also be committed to learning and sharing ideas including mentoring others as we work with junior developers from UWE. We run regular knowledge-sharing and training sessions for our developers and you'll get to go to some conferences and sprints for Open Source projects.
We are committed to recruiting a person with the right personality and characteristics. We have a strong ethos of equality and diversity.
- Reliable, organised, focused - we don't micromanage people
- Team player
- Open and collaborative
- Influence change with innovation
- Good communicator
- Positive attitude
- Creative problem solver
- Confident configuring and navigating Drupal and/or Wordpress
- Proven, but not perfect, PHP and MySQL skills
- Ability to navigate servers using Linux commands
- Version control via Git
- Experience in developing custom Drupal modules and/or Wordpress Plugins
- Bootstrap theming / CSS / SASS
- CiviCRM (by no means essential because we will train you, but nice to have)
- Working with and understanding payment processors
The pay-off for your hard work is a relaxed and flexible working environment, with dedicated learning and development time to improve your skills and knowledge base. We’ll supply you with ample amounts of tea, coffee and fruit, plus a host of activities to get away from the screen, from table tennis to paddleboarding to lunchtime pub trips.
- Join a team of extremely talented enthusiastic people
- Enjoy flexible work life balance, we try to fit in with our staffs commitments outside work
- There will be progression with room to grow
- As part of our wish to support staff wellbeing we offer up to 2 days paid leave per year for volunteering
- Laptop (whichever flavour you prefer)
Salary: £25,000 - £35,000 depending on experience
Our teams are now all working remotely so all interviews will be completed online.